Southern Girl

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I think I hear my theme song



In order to get my knee in shape for my upcoming school semester and clinicals I had been trying to be on my feet more and push myself until my leg was tired.  Until recently I have had a mountain of anxiety about my leg enduring the first 8 hour clinical day.  Then it just seemed like one day I was able to do more than before.  My knee was still stiff and swollen but if I waited for that to go away I would be sitting on my butt for 6 months.  So every day my assignment was to basically torture myself.  This week I met a new goal.  I was able to walk, a slow one and a half miles.  Then as I was coming up the basement steps I decided to try and go up them normally, not one at a time.  It worked!  Once I got to the top of the 13 steps, yes I counted, I felt like I could hear the Rocky music.  I looked at Jett as if to receive a congratulatory "Good job Mama!" but he just looked at me like "You wanna play?".  Oh well.  I was happy with my accomplishment especially since at 13 weeks post surgery I had only been sans crutches for 3 weeks..... broken bones and added hardware take a long time to heal.  13 weeks for 13 steps.  I turned around to look at what I had just defeated and I realized "they" had another plan of attack... going down the steps normally.  Which if any of you have ever had knee problems, you know that going down was going to be much more difficult than going up.  The vision in my head changed to a picture of Humpty Dumpty and the song switched to "All the king's horses and all the king's men could not put Humpty back together again".  'Til we meet again Stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment